Pages

Thursday 7 April 2011

Kilvey Hill

I went for a look up Kilvey Hill today. I left early and hoped that the weather would stay overcast. I didn't expect to find much at all and indeed, apart from lots of dried out Stereum there wasn't much but I did find one or two things.
Below is a very common species found on birch. Its Hypoxylon multiforme/Birch Woodwart. The fruitbody is cushion shaped and pimply. As the fruitbody expands they can coalese together to cover larger areas.


Living on dead wood was also Calocera cornea/Small Stagshorn. The fruitbody can reach 1cm high and is also widespread and very common.
 

The most surprising discovery was a Coprinus/Inkcap. I found three whilst out and I did not expect to see anything like this at this time of year. Possibly Coprinus lagopus/Hare'sfoot Inkcap.
All were growing out of leaf litter. There's a similar looking variety that lives off dung but none of these were.



The example below shows how the surface of the cap is covered in a fine, white, dense dust which also covers the stipe too.


I've added this photo not just because it's pretty but also because this is the first time I've encountered bluebells on the hill.

No comments:

Post a Comment