Pages

Monday 21 November 2011

Kilvey Hill 19-11-11


It's been almost a month since I went up Kilvey Hill and did a full search, going to parts of the hill that I've never ventured too before which bore some surprising finds. On the way to the hill I came across Mycena vitilis/Snapping Bonnet (above) and Tricholoma fulvum/Birch Knight, (below). This Knight has a very long stipe that goes deep into the soil.


Also on the way were two more Tricholomas, T.focale and Tricholoma scalpturatum/Yellowing Knight, the photo below is of Tricholoma scalpturatum. It fruits in the same place every year at the bottom of Kilvey Road but this year in  numbers I couldn't count.



Below is a Cortinarius but there are so many in this family (at least 600) that identification is near impossible.


Another Knight, this time Tricholoma equestre/Yellow Knight. It's a regularly fruiting fungi here and stands out a mile since it's one of only two yellow Knights.


And another Knight this one is Tricholoma focale.


Along one path was Peziza badia/Bay Cup,. This was the first time that I've ever seen it in such numbers. This year for some reason there seems to have been a glut of particular species. What struck me about these was their size. They were particularly large.


On a path that I have never taken before I came across an area of land where the trees were less dense and the ground covered in moss, amongst the moss was this very small Mycena..at least that's what I think it is at the moment.



On the Port Tennant side of Kilvey Hill there are places where wood chip has been left under the trees. Tree bark mulch is favorable to many species of fungi and here, covering many square feet were a variety of 'woodchip' fungi. Below is Hypholoma marginatum/Snakeskin brownie. In the front is Pluteus cervinus/Deer Shield.




On the way down and home I also came across Collybia butyracea/Butter cap, here in a fairy ring.

And finally Amanita muscaria/Fly agaric. It's worth saying here that where I found this was severly damaged by fire earlier in the year and I feard that this mushroom would suffer as a result but not so. In fact there were many out and curiously all found on the Port Tennant side of the hill.

No comments:

Post a Comment